Saturday, May 9, 2020

Day #2317

May 5, 2020 

Today's Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from 1 Peter 2:5: like living stones, let yourselves be built into a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. (NRSV)

When I was a young girl, I was somewhat obsessed with rocks. One year for Christmas I received a Rock Tumbler to smooth the stones I found and collected. I thought it was one of the best gifts ever. I had fun putting those rough rocks into the tumbler and following the directions so that they would eventually smooth into beautiful stones. It took time, proper materials, and patience. But the result, I thought, was amazing. I made jewelry, crafts, and more, and enjoyed it all.

I thought about those stones when I read the scripture above and wondered what “living stones” might look like. Rough edges being smoothed through time, proper materials, patience, and being turned into something amazing. But not just for me, or an individual stone, but for the Kingdom. Multiple stones (thousands from the past, present, and future) coming together, being fit together, in a joy-filled image. And one that I believe God can use in ways single stones cannot be, especially as God provides the time, materials and patience.  

Blessings. And prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment