Friday, May 1, 2020

Day #2310

April 28, 2020

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from Psalm 23:2: The Lord makes me lie down in green pastures and leads me beside still waters. (ELW)

I cannot count the number of times I have read this Psalm, both silently and aloud, using various translations and emphasizing different parts. Neither can I think of a funeral or memorial service where this has not been chosen as a reading. It is famous scripture, comforting scripture, scripture of hope and promise, which is appropriate for a time of grieving. Who doesn’t want to hear, especially then, the comforting words that the LORD is with us, leading us, guiding us, giving us peace and relaxation. 

That is what I think about specifically in the verse that refers to lying down in green pastures and being led by still waters. When I was a teenager, my parents had a cottage by a river. It wasn’t “still” waters, but the water was shallow and moved slowly by the house. I spent many hours wading and skipping rocks and dreaming of what the future held. But the times that were most comforting and peaceful were spent in the field down the road. The field was on a hill, with no houses around, and I remember lying back, watching clouds, and feeling as if the world were without fear or worry. 

My hope is that you have a place where the LORD leads you to find peace or quiet, so that you can hear God’s voice and be reassured that you are being watched over and cared for. Always!

Blessings. And prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment