Saturday, March 14, 2020

Day #2261

March 10, 2020 

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from the Gospel of John 4:38: [Jesus said:] I sent you to reap that for which you did not labor. Others have labored, and you have entered into their labor.” (NRSV)

Years ago a woman whose name I no longer remember sat down with me to help explain why I needed to acknowledge God in my life. This Christian woman went through scripture with me, patiently heard and answered my questions, and prayed with me. She sowed seeds. But I walked away from that conversation unconvinced I needed to make any changes. In other words, she sowed but did not reap. 

Several years after that, another member of God's kingdom came along and invited me to worship, introducing me to folks who would continue to walk with me, hearing and answering my questions. They were not the first to labor in my life, but they were the ones who saw fruit. I was baptized and became a busy servant, even one day becoming a pastor. 

I often think about that woman from many years ago. I feel quite certain she was disappointed and maybe even angry at my stubbornness. Perhaps she has prayed for me. She might even occasionally think about her “failure” and wish things had gone differently. Little did she know God continued to work in my life and sent others who helped me accept God’s love and grace. There is much to learn from this unnamed woman in my life, and God’s persistence in all of our lives. Thanks be to God!

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment