Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Day #2212

January 21, 2020

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from Isaiah 9:2: The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who lived in a land of deep darkness — on them light has shined. (NRSV)

Years ago I spent an afternoon in a planetarium. We were there for a “star show” depicting what the night sky could have looked like when Jesus was born. What I remember about the time there, however, was not the stars in the sky, but the utter darkness of the room before the show began. It was so dark that I could not see my hand right in front of my face. There was pitch darkness unlike anything I ever remember before or since. And I have to admit it was frightening. Even though I was in a safe place with people I knew, I was intimidated by the completeness of the dark. Would there be light again? 

I imagine this type of darkness in the land where Isaiah brings the Good News of light shining. Into that place of utter hopelessness and into that time of fear comes God’s light, bringing with it hope and peace. This is a good reminder that no matter what the darkest times in our lives are like, God’s light is with us. Always. Which can be like a hug - which is appropriate for National Hugging Day. 

Consider, therefore, you have been hugged by God - today and everyday - and take time to thank God for being our light and our hope.


Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment