Sunday, January 12, 2020

Day #2198

January 7, 2020 

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from Matthew 3:16: And when Jesus had been baptized, just as he came up from the water, suddenly the heavens were opened to him and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. (NRSV)

I was baptized at the age of 19. Now, I am certainly not saying that the Spirit of God descended on me that morning like a dove as it did for Jesus, but I will say that the Spirit of God was present. It was almost palpable. And there was joy. 

I will say with certainty, however, that I had no idea on that day what the future journey would look like. I knew baptism was a beginning, an adoption, an assurance of a new identity as Child of God, but what that would mean for me individually was unknown at that moment. But God knew. Just as God knows for each one of us what God needs our journey to be. Suffice it to say that loving God, and loving neighbor, is just the start. 

As we celebrate the Baptism of our Lord on Sunday, may we all be reminded that God's claim on us in baptism is just the beginning. And know that we are beloved.  

Blessings.

PS Another reason to celebrate is that the sound system has been fixed. Thanks to the work of an expert, Sunday should go much smoother. Thank you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment