Monday, January 20, 2020

Day #2205

January 14, 2020 

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from Isaiah 49:1b: The Lord called me before I was born, while I was in my mother’s womb he named me. (NRSV) 

“Call” is often associated with pastors or others who work in the church, when someone feels they have some specific work to do in the church. (When my mother told a friend that I had received a “call” to go to seminary, her friend wanted to know who from the Synod Office had called me. We had a good chuckle.) But this verse from Isaiah has nothing to do with that kind of call. This is a reminder that we are all called by God, even before we are born, and given a name. Just like we are given a name, or a nickname, from other humans, we have a name given to us by God - God’s child. Which gives us a reason for being here on earth - to be loved and cared for by the one who creates us - and a purpose - to love and care for the others God creates…and that is everyone. 

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment