Saturday, June 22, 2019

Day #1995

June 18, 2019 

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from Galatians 3:26: for in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith. (NRSV)

For those who may not know, I am an only child. From the time I remember, I wanted an older brother and begged my mom for one, but she quickly explained that was not going to happen. I do remember times of being lonely, but mom was good at making certain I had opportunities to play with friends and join others in classes, etc. 

When I was baptized, and became active in a congregation, I was overwhelmed with learning that I suddenly had dozens of new brothers and sisters of all ages, other children of God, through faith. How amazing this was for me! And just like any family, there are good days and not so good days, but the family remains. The bond is unbroken. 

God knows, as the whole and Holy Trinity of Father, Son and Holy Spirit, how important relationship is. None of us are an island. And all of us are God’s children, cared for lovingly by our holy Father. 

Two tangible ways also reminded me today of the importance of the “family” connection. One was being honored to help a couple celebrate their own family with 25 years of marriage at a renewal of vows ceremony. Another was being reminded by a sister in the faith to listen to my spirit and body and provide proper care. Perhaps the prayer from the devotion d365 she shared with me would also be helpful for you (after all, sharing is what "family" does): 
Re-creating God, I don’t always listen when I’ve hit my limit. I sometimes push until I hear my spirit - and body - beginning to break. Give me the wisdom to notice when I need to hear your call to care for my body before I get too run-down. Amen.
Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment