Friday, March 29, 2019

Day #1911

March 26, 2019

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from 2 Corinthians, chapter 5, verse 17: So if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation: everything old has passed away; see, everything has become new! (NRSV)

Having been baptized at the age of 19, I thought perhaps I would notice a huge difference in my life as I came up out of that water. I thought I would suddenly have more patience with others. I hoped I would lose my temper less. I thought I would suddenly overcome my shyness and share my newly found faith more freely with others. And surely these transformations would happen immediately, like some switch suddenly turned on. Or off, depending on the perspective. :-)

But none of those things happened. I was still impatient. I still lost my temper. I was still shy, especially about sharing faith or inviting others to come and see Jesus. Yet, I do believe I was immediately changed. Not because of what I did or didn’t do, or how I acted or didn’t act, but because I had a new family, the head of which welcomed me unconditionally, forever. Nothing would ever be the same, everything had become new, because the love and grace of God covered me and adopted me in a new way, one I am still trying to understand and sometimes struggle to accept. 

Thank you, God, for making everything new, and for making us over in Christ. Amen.

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment