Saturday, March 23, 2019

Day #1908

March 23, 2019 

Today I share a great reminder from Katie Langston in the 2019 Lenten Devotional from Luther Seminary:
I grew up in a loving, devout Mormon home, which gave me gifts of community, hard work, and commitment. But one significant Mormon teaching is that we are saved by obedience; this made me hyper-aware of my flaws. From childhood, I felt sure I would never be acceptable to God.  
I carried this anxiety through college until one day I heard a Christian theologian say, “I’m a Christian because I know enough of my deficiencies to be devastated. I don’t think I could live without forgiveness and the love of God.” I’d never heard anyone express their reliance on God’s grace so directly. I turned to Christ to see if he could forgive and love me, too. To my delight, he could—and the experience turned my despair into joy.  
Luther said: “Christ our Lord, to whom we must flee, and of whom we must ask all, is an inexhaustible well of grace.” From this well I thirstily drink again and again.  
Lord Jesus, remind us that you freely give living water. Teach us to drink in your grace. Amen. 
Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment