Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Day #218

August 6, 2014

It isn’t usually my practice to write at the beginning of the day, but something struck me early this morning. This may illicit an eeww! from some, but here goes.

I have an electric toothbrush and today was the day I decided it was time to change the brush head. Now, please understand, I rinse my toothbrush really well after each use, but there always seems to be a little leftover paste that seeps into the crevices of the brush head, making changing it a chore. Over time, that "left behind" toothpaste becomes like glue and makes it near impossible to release the head from the rest of the brush. It requires some outside force to clean it up and ready it for release, so that it can function at its max.

That made me think about my life with God. I do my best to pray, study, and worship regularly; to “rinse” my life of sin and help my connection with God be strong and vibrant, releasing me to live with joy and devotion. Yet, no matter how hard I try, I cannot keep sin from sneaking in, challenging my relationship and commitment, tearing at life's joy. It takes an outside force to release sin from me and deepen that relationship so that I can live and serve as God desires.

Jesus Christ is that outside force. His life, death and resurrection did away with the consequences of all the “gunk” of life. Because God loves me (and you) so much, God made the way for the relationship.

Now who would have thought a toothbrush could be such a reminder of God’s love and grace?! Happy brushing!

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment