Saturday, May 14, 2022

Day #3045

May 3, 2022 

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from John 10:27: My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me. (NRSV)


Once while speaking to the Jews, they asked Jesus to tell them plainly who he is - no guessing, no parables, no “signs,” just plain talk. Jesus said they did not believe what they witnessed of who Jesus was because they were not his sheep, meaning they could not recognize his voice. Harsh words? Perhaps. But I wonder just how we are to “know” Jesus’ voice. 


It made me think about a friend’s dog, Sandy, who escaped her yard one day long ago and was picked up by Animal Control. My friend had to work, so I went to the pound to see if Sandy was there. As I walked by the various cages, I came to one where there were several dogs, all of them barking and jumping, trying to get my attention. All except for the one who sat in the back, head down and trembling. It was her. I spoke one word - Sandy - and she immediately came running toward me. She knew my voice, that I was safe and would take care of her. 


But how did she know my voice so well? I had spent lots of time with her, playing and correcting and getting to know her and her me. There was no doubt I was a friend.


Perhaps our spending time with Jesus in scripture, prayer, worship, and among others helps us know him as a friend and savior, also. 


Blessings. And prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment