Saturday, May 18, 2019

Day #1960

May 14, 2019

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from the 11th chapter of Acts, verse 17: If then God gave them the same gift that he gave us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could hinder God? (NRSV) 

The apostle Peter is trying to explain why he has come to the understanding that God calls and accepts Gentiles, as well as Jews, as followers. He has come to the conclusion that he is not the one called to decide who is welcome in God’s Kingdom. 

Many years ago the denomination in which I serve came to a decision that was unpopular with many. And there were many who were upset and concerned about the decision and what it might mean for them and their congregations. After a long conversation with someone who was worried, they left my office not certain of how they felt or whether they were convinced the “right” decision had been made. Several days later, they came back. I think I have it, they said. I think I have reconciled my mind to this. After all, who am I to question or decide who has been called by God?!

Oh, yes, they certainly “had” it! Just as Peter did. And "it" seems to be the very definition of the grace of God that is available to us all.

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment