Saturday, March 5, 2022

Day #2982

March 1, 2022 

Today the Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from Matthew 6:19-21: [Jesus said to the disciples:]“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal; but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” (NRSV)


With tomorrow being Ash Wednesday and the beginning of the penitential season of Lent, the reading for the day speaks to the standard disciplines of the season - fasting, giving alms (extra giving) and prayer. 


With that said, I believe the essence of the season is found in these verses and is about slowing down and focusing on God, allowing for a deepening gift of faith and relationship. “For where [our] treasure is, there [our] heart will be also.” And we will never be disappointed with the treasure of relationship with God.


This scripture also reminded me of cleaning out my mother’s attic. When I was in my 40s, it was time for this to happen. It is signifiant that I was in my 40s, because my mother still had some of my baby clothes packed away. Moth consumed? Yes. Dry-rotted? Yes. Worthless? Yes. 


Now, I understand. What if mom had had another child? What if someone special needed those clothes? But 40 years had gone by!! With apologies to my mother who can no longer speak to her reasoning, it brought to light how holding onto material things is truly impractical. However, digging into the essence of this season of Lent? Well, that is not only practical, but life-giving...and eternal. 


Blessings. And prayers

No comments:

Post a Comment