Friday, November 29, 2019

Day #2156

November 26, 2019 

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from Isaiah 11:3b-4a:  He shall not judge by what his eyes see, or decide by what his ears hear; but with righteousness he shall judge the poor, and decide with equity for the meek of the earth. (NRSV)

Years ago I witnessed a person running away from robbing a bank. I was sitting in the church building at Bible Study when someone running through the parking lot outside the window caught my eye. Turns out he had reason to run - he had just robbed the bank next door to the church building. The police came to the church asking if anyone had seen anything. I was certain I could identify the man - he was wearing white, had a beard, etc. I even sat down with a sketch artist. All to no avail, because when the man was caught, turns out he didn’t look anything like the picture I had in my mind (and he didn't have on white, either). Even though my “eyes had seen,” they were mistaken. I am thankful someone wasn’t arrested based only on what I thought I “saw,” since my eyewitness account couldn't be trusted.

How many times do we make judgement based on what we think we see? Or what we think we hear? For me, more often than I wish to admit. Thankfully God makes judgement with righteousness and equity. God sees and hears the truth, always, and responds accordingly. Amen - let it be so.

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment