Thursday, November 7, 2019

Day #2128

October 29, 2019

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from the 6th chapter of the Gospel of Luke, verses 27-28: “But I say to you that listen, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. (NRSV)

These words from Jesus come toward the end of his “Sermon on the Plain.” Another description of the passage surrounding these verses could be "blessings and woes." Whatever we call it, the teaching is a total reversal of what most of us might think would be our life as a believer. Satisfied, full, thought well of - blessed - would be more the expectation. After all, believers in Jesus give up a LOT sometimes to follow him. Surely there would be a positive “pay back.” 

Not so much. This is not what is promised by Jesus - an easy and comfortable life. A full life, yes, but comfortable, not so much. 

I have to say, however, there isn’t anything easy about Jesus’ words. I mean, loving my enemies, praying for my abusers, and being kind and good to those who hate and curse me is not always my gut reaction. Yet, I am reminded there is no “getting even” in these words. And no entitlement, either. 

Hmmm….suppose I need God to help and guide me through these types of situations. And the good news?!?! God will!

Blessings.

PS We returned home safely following our time away and celebration. It was a fun time!

No comments:

Post a Comment