Saturday, February 19, 2022

Day #2968

February 15, 2022 

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from Luke 6:31: Do to others as you would have them do to you. (NRSV)


The Golden Rule. Wikipedia defines it this way: 

The Golden Rule is the principle of treating others as one wants to be treated. It is a maxim that is found in most religions and cultures. It can be considered an ethic of reciprocity in some religions, although different religions treat it differently. 

But I wonder about that word in the last sentence - reciprocity. Or exchange. Have I treated others in certain ways expecting them to return the “favor?” Of course I have. I let someone in front of me at the store and expect that to happen to me when I am in a hurry and have only a couple of items. But, sadly, that is not always the case.


Perhaps, then, Jesus does not mean this exactly. Certainly treating others as we would want to be treated is a good thing, as long as we do not expect the same behavior back to us. After all, in this verse Jesus is in the middle of teaching about loving enemies, turning the other cheek, etc. That is behavior that is way past just being kind. 


And frankly, not something I can do on my own. Which, then, is where verse 36 gives me hope - God is merciful. God is able to do what I cannot on my own. And because God is merciful and loves in the way of grace (not expecting return), then I can, with God’s help, love my enemy and pray for them.


Is there someone or something you need God’s help in loving? God is waiting to help. 


Blessings. And prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment