Friday, May 14, 2021

Day #2688

May 11, 2021

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from the Gospel of John, chapter 17, verse 11: [Jesus prays]: And now I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one, as we are one. (NRSV) 


Often folks will tell me that I am in their prayers. That means more than you can know (or perhaps you do know how much that can mean). Less often, I have been prayed for, out loud, right then and there in the presence of the one praying. I remember once calling a friend to ask if she could pray for me RIGHT NOW. She was flabbergasted, but stopped what she was doing and granted my request. I was afraid and her prayer helped immensely. The situation did not change, but I felt much better.


In this verse, Jesus is praying for his disciples. He has told them all he knows to say, and now he takes his thoughts to God in prayer. I cannot imagine what that must have been like, to have Jesus pray for them, out loud, right then and there. Were they comforted? Did they become more frightened (Jesus does ask for their protection)? Were they perplexed? Embarrassed? We do not know from this reading, but Jesus knew what they needed. And probably what he needed, also.


Is there someone who could use your prayer for them, with them, today? Out loud? Probably. And perhaps you need the opportunity to pray just as much as they need the prayer. May God provide you such a blessing.  


Blessings. And prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment