Sunday, April 19, 2020

Day #2289

April 7, 2020 

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from Matthew 21:1: After the sabbath, as the first day of the week was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb. (NRSV)

The women went to “see the tomb.” Isn’t that an odd thing to do!?! After all, they don’t take spices in the Gospel of Matthew. They don’t go to properly prepare Jesus’ body. Instead, we hear they go to “see the tomb.” When I was a young girl, I remember going later in the day with the family to see the grave of my grandfather. It was covered in flowers, and I was chilly because it was late November. And at my young age, I thought it was the oddest thing to do - go and “see the grave.” Why would we want to do that? As my family gathered together, they cried. They told stories. They even chuckled a time or two. But they were together at the last place where my grandfather would have been on this earth. 

Perhaps that is why the women went to “see the tomb.” To be where Jesus would have last been on earth? To be together in their grief? Can you imagine their shock and surprise when not only is the tomb empty, but the risen Jesus greets them?!?! 

This is the good news that will carry me through the rest of this Holy Week, even when we hear the awful events of Jesus’ final days. That there is more to come. That there is amazement to come. That there is great Good News to come. Yes, we can go to the tomb to see it, but Jesus won’t be there. Nope…he’s loose in the world. In and through us!! Thanks be to God!

Blessings. And prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment