Monday, April 29, 2019

Day #1939

April 23, 2019 

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture comes from John 20:25: So the other disciples told [Thomas], "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe.” (NRSV)

Years ago I tried to tell a friend something about an insurance policy and the coverage it would provide. Having been in the insurance industry for many years, I was certain of the information I was sharing. Yet, what I said differed from how another insurance person had informed my friend and he was having a hard time deciding who knew best. Don’t you believe me, I asked him? Would I lie to you? His answer, “Not intentionally.” 

I imagine that is similar to Thomas’ response to his co-disciples. They wouldn’t intentionally lie to him, would they? Or was Thomas less refusing to believe and more wanting to experience what the others had. After all, he was with them when the next opportunity came along - and Jesus did not disappoint. 

But what I really thought about when I read this - won't Thomas believe, or can't he? Is there a difference? We humans have a tendency to “can’t” believe unless we see proof of something (like my friend). But without proof, as in matters of faith, do we harden our hearts and “won’t” believe? Hmmm…

Lord, help us in our unbelief, disbelief, can’t belief and won’t belief. Amen.

Blessings.

PS And a fun moment as we await tomorrow morning - watching surfing on the river. Yep, several folks were out with surf boards and kayaks enjoying the high water. 


I had to see it myself to believe it! Ok, I know, sounds like Thomas, doesn’t it!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment