Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Day #1925

April 9, 2019

Tuesday’s Thoughts on Scripture come from Luke 19:40: [Jesus] answered, “I tell you, if [the people] were silent, the stones would shout out.”

Shhh….let’s not tell anyone yet. Let's just keep the news between us for a little bit. But it was too exciting not to tell. I couldn’t wait to shout from the rooftops that I was marrying the love of my life. The news was just too exciting to hold it in. So as soon as possible, I shared it with as many people as I could. It was impossible to keep my excitement quiet.

Getting engaged is absolutely nothing in comparison to the news that Jesus was entering Jerusalem. The healer and teacher extraordinaire was coming into town. Many thought it was the time for things to finally turn around for the Jewish people, and they were beyond excited. Beyond appreciative. Beyond being able to keep quiet. But they were causing a stir, with their shouts of Hosanna! and blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord. If it didn't stop, things might soon get out of the leadership's control, so the Pharisees tell Jesus to make them stop. To keep quiet.

Impossible, Jesus seems to say. The stones themselves would shout out if the people did not. This is my moment, my glory, my time, Jesus seems to say, and no one will keep me away or squelch the excitement

We know, however, that the people’s shouts of Hosanna! will quickly change. Within days as the week progresses, "crucify him" will easily come from their mouths. Yes, Holy Week is coming…but so is Easter Sunday. 

Thank you, Jesus, for giving us your strength during Holy Week, and every other one. Amen.

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment