Monday, August 10, 2015

Day #583


August 6, 2015
 
“I’m a pastor. I get paid by the word.” This is not a quote or idea I came up with, but somewhere along the line I picked it up and have used it in kidding with others about the length of a sermon or Bible Study. But in reality it does have double-meaning: I get paid by the Word, Jesus Christ. Yet, don't we all get paid by the Word? Or at least uplifted, forgiven, loved, accepted, etc. (which, by the way, none of those deserve to have “at least” identify them) by the Word?
 
So where is all the talk about “word” going? It is on my mind due to my own frustration when the words I speak don’t seem to hit the mark. When I cannot seem to get across in a coherent manner what I’m trying to say, or explain, or think through with someone. It’s a frustration I notice more as pastor than ever before in my life. I used to think I was a good communicator, not as much now. J
 
Sometimes the hardest part of speaking, though, is listening. Hearing what the other person is actually asking so that I can answer their question. And when I miss the mark with that one, the frustration is really in me and with my inadequacies. A friend reminds me I’m not perfect. I know that, but I sure would like my communication skills to be as close to perfect as possible.
 
So, from the second reading for Sunday, August 9th, come these important words in Ephesians 4:29:  Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only what is useful for building up, as there is need, so that your words may give grace to those who hear.
 
Amen and Amen! Paid by the word? Well…..certainly uplifted (and convicted) by it!!
 
Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment